Apartment & Building

» Home » FAQ » Apartment & Building


Apartment & Building


Q: What are the cases to which the Apartment Act is applicable?


Ans: The Act is applicable in cases where owner or all owners sign the required declaration and register the same as provided in the act. It applies to the apartments used for residential purpose.


Q: What is an Apartment?


Ans: Apartment is an independent dwelling unit having one or more rooms and part of a building with one or more stories providing access to place of common usage and road.


Q: What is building?


Ans: Building is a structure with four or more apartments.


Q: How to acquire ownership under Apartment Act?


Ans: The deed of apartment should be signed and registered (Please see Karnataka Apartment Ownership Act 1972 and Rules 1975 for details)


Q: How right is transferred in case of sale of apartment?


Ans: Sale of flat/apartment is as simple as any other sale transaction. A purchaser acquiring rights may register sale deed in office of the Sub Registrar.

Purchasers of flats/apartments may note following small difference in transfer of flat/apartment as compared to that of transfer of site, house. Ownership of flat/apartment comprises of the following rights namely,-


  1. Undivided interest in land;
  2. Carpet area of flat/apartment and
  3. Proportionate share in common area.


Purchaser can become absolute owner of apartment after sale of all the above three rights together describing in sale deed and registered.


Q: Is it not possible to become owner of apartment by purchasing undivided interest in land only, through a sale deed?


Ans: It is not possible to become owner of apartment by describing only undivided interest in land in the sale deed.


Q: What are the precautions to be taken while purchasing apartment?


Ans: While purchasing apartment, the following matters may be verified and ascertained that they are correct:


  1. Agreement to sell with promoter should be compulsorily registered in Sub Registry Office, there after sale deed also should be registered.
  2. Permission for construction of apartment and sanctioned plan should have been approved by City development authority/ Corporation / Municipality / Panchayat.
  3. Whether promoter/seller has right to sell the property.
  4. If sale transaction is by a General Power of Attorney holder whether general power of attorney is valid on the date of transaction/sale deed.
  5. Apartments constructed in violation of sanction plan should not be purchased.
  6. Verify whether occupancy certificate is obtained from the local authority.
  7. Verify whether deed of declaration and Co-operative society or company is formed and registered.


Q: Is it valid to get transfer ownership of apartment through transfer of share by the co-operative society without registered deed?


Ans: It is not legally valid. Co-operative Societies who allot apartment to its members should compulsorily register sale deed in Registry Office under Registration Act, 1908.


Q: Is there any concession of stamp duty for sale deed relating to apartments?


Ans: No